Lucas Faces Five Weeks Out, Sakho and Sturridge Set for Recalls

After picking up a knock in Liverpool’s dramatic penalty shoot-out loss to Manchester City in the League Cup final last weekend, Reds midfielder Lucas missed out as the Anfield outfit got revenge on their Northwest rivals on Merseyside earlier in the week and it doesn’t sound like he’s going to be back in action anytime soon.

“Lucas is really unfortunate. It’s a little bit more serious,” said Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp, speaking ahead of the meeting with Crystal Palace on Sunday. “I’ve never heard about an injury you get like this, from a penalty, but it was only because he was a little bit injured before,” he explained, before confirming that Lucas is facing a spell on the treatment table. “He didn’t feel too much but after the shot it was done. [It’s a] quad – I don’t know exactly but five or six weeks [out], not too good.”

The Reds boss did have some good news though with Mamadou Sakho, who was forced off early at Wembley after a clash of heads with teammate Emre Can, returning to full training and Daniel Sturridge, who was rested on Wednesday after putting in 120-minutes at the weekend, coming through the session without any problems.

“Mama did a little bit today for the first time, but we didn’t really do a lot because it was the second day after a game,” said Klopp when asked whether the French defender would be able to make the trip to Selhurst Park. “The only session we have is tomorrow and we have to see how he is then, but today was the first day he did a little bit more,” he added, before shifting gears to the perpetually injured striker. “[And] Daniel Sturridge trained completely normally yesterday.”

Leave a Reply