Liverpool Await Lucas Injury Update, Galatasaray Confirm They’re Still Interested

With Newcastle United midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum all but a Liverpool player ahead of a routine medical on Merseyside later today, the club has already started to make room for the Dutchman. A bid from Stoke City for Joe Allen has been accepted as the Reds look to clear up competition in the middle of the park, but after Lucas picked up an injury in Wednesday’s friendly with Championship side Huddersfield Town, his exit from Anfield has been complicated further.

“No not exactly, but of course it’s muscle so we have to wait,” said Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp when asked about the hamstring injury picked up by the Brazilian. “But things like this happen – that’s how it is,” added the German manager. “It’s always unlucky and never in the right moment, but we have to wait for the exact assessment.”

The Magpies, of course, were looking to take the midfielder to St. James Park as part of the deal that will see Wijnaldum move the other way, but it’s been all but confirmed that Liverpool will stump up a whole wad of cash instead. Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez is believed to still be interested in Lucas, but there’ll be competition for his signature. Turkish champions Besiktas are known to be monitoring his future on Merseyside, but SuperLig rivals Galatasaray appear to have the upper hand despite having a loan bid for him rejected earlier in the month. Regardless, they’re still interested in doing business, but aren’t putting all their eggs in one basket.

“One of the players we are interested in is Leiva, but there are other alternatives,” club director Levent Nazifoglu told Turkish media outlet GSTV when asked about potential incoming at the Türk Telekom Arena. “One of them will be up front.”


Leave a Reply